The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) Library seeks an enthusiastic and user- oriented Education & Clinical Research Librarian for a temporary appointment lasting a minimum of six months from the date of hire with the possibility of renewal for an additional six months.
Reporting to the Associate University Library for Research and Learning, this position is part of a team of librarians which provide education and clinical research services to our diverse and distributed campus community. Our librarians work closely with faculty, staff, clinicians, learners, and researchers to provide consultation services in diverse areas, including literature searching, evidence-based practice, and more. This position is expected to thrive in UCSF’s complex and dynamic environment, adapt quickly, apply new knowledge to solve problems, and excel as a member of a team.
The core responsibilities of the position are:
- Proactively seek opportunities to engage with the UCSF Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland community to integrate library resources and to support the evolving needs of clinicians, staff, and learners located at this campus.
- Contributes to the needs assessment of the Benioff Oakland community and implementation of applicable changes to resources and services provided. Includes strong collaboration with the Collection Development team.
- Engage and participate in a competency-based services model within which the education and clinical research team collaboratively designs and delivers audience specific curricula, library trainings and workshops, and additional shared services in order to enhance evidence-based practice and scholarly research across UCSF.
- Collaboratively develop and deliver instructional content utilizing inclusive best practices to support the educational and research needs of the UCSF community within a shared team approach.
- Educate and support the UCSF community in how to best utilize library resources and tools through direct assistance and consultation. Update and maintain online guides and other research support tools.
- Collaborate with the Data Science & Open Scholarship team to maximize use of open resources with individuals, groups and campus wide as appropriate.
- Masters in Library Science or equivalent degree.
- Minimum 2 years of professional library experience providing services in an academic health science or related library setting.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that encompass interpersonal, analytical and organizational communication.
- Evidence of ability to work independently as needed and excel at collaborative work both within and external to the library.
- Understanding of emerging trends in health sciences librarianship, including evidence- based practice, scholarly communications, data management, and new technologies for information discovery and management.
- Demonstrated ability to gather information by consulting a wide variety of sources, researching, compiling, organizing and interpreting data and materials.
- Background in biomedical/basic sciences.
- Experience teaching and developing face-to-face and online instructional sessions for adult learners.
- Experience providing literature search services, systematic review services and other reference support in the health sciences to clinicians, educators, faculty and researchers.
- Technologically comfortable and adept at identifying and learning to use and teach new technologies.
This is a temporary position to support short-term leaves of absence. Limited-term full-time exempt position, lasting 6 months from the date of hire with possible option to renew for an additional 6 months.
This is a hybrid position that requires routine onsite activities, primarily on the UCSF Parnassus Heights and Benioff Children’s Hospital Oakland campuses.
See https://www.ucop.edu/academic-personnel-programs/_files/2023-24/july-2023-acad-salary-scales/t26-b.pdf for the salary range for the Assistant Librarian-Temp Status, Associate Librarian- Temp Status, and Librarian-Temp Status. A reasonable estimate for this position is $79,000 – $115,000.
About the Library
The UCSF Library is one of the preeminent health sciences libraries in the world, containing an expansive collection of the world’s health sciences knowledge base. At its core, the UCSF Library connects people to stimulate inclusive learning, advance scientific inquiry, and enable open access to historical and current health sciences information resources. The Library facilitates connection to information and people by delivering a diverse range of human-centered services to the UCSF community and public visitors. Through its digital and physical spaces, the Library cultivates experiences that nurture progressive learning, meaningful engagement, and open creativity. As a vital campus resource, we are dedicated to supporting the UCSF mission of advancing health worldwide.
We commit to https://www.library.ucsf.edu/about/diversity-and-inclusion/ as a means of promoting health equity and counteracting historic and current systems of oppression. This commitment also applies to https://escholarship.org/uc/item/4mq1461d
The University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) is a leading university dedicated to promoting health worldwide through advanced biomedical research, graduate-level education in the life sciences and health professions, and excellence in patient care. It is the only campus in the 10-campus UC system dedicated exclusively to the health sciences. We bring together the world’s leading experts in nearly every area of health. We are home to five Nobel laureates who have advanced the understanding of cancer, neurodegenerative diseases, aging and stem cells.
UCSF is a diverse community made of people with many skills and talents. We seek candidates whose work experience or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to professionalism, respect, integrity, diversity and excellence – also known as our PRIDE values.
In addition to our PRIDE values, UCSF is committed to equity – both in how we deliver care as well as our workforce. We are committed to building a broadly diverse community, nurturing a culture that is welcoming and supportive, and engaging diverse ideas for the provision of culturally competent education, discovery, and patient care. Additional information about UCSF is available at diversity.ucsf.edu
Join us to find a rewarding career contributing to improving healthcare worldwide.
Please apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/4717255 with a cover letter, CV, statement of contributions to diversity, and contact information for three references. Applicant materials must list current and/or pending qualifications upon submission. The selected candidate must meet all of the qualifications at the time of appointment.
UC San Francisco seeks candidates whose experience, teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.